Homemade playdough.


Last Thursday XR and I made homemade play dough. It's such an easy, kid friendly activity. And with Valentine's Day coming up, I thought I would share the recipe with everyone.




3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. salt
1 1/2 c. hot water...not boiling
1 Tbsp. oil
Food coloring (optional)

Mix together all ingredients except the food coloring and knead well. Add the food coloring and knead again until distributed. That's it!!!

Using a stand mixer with the dough hook will make this project even easier!!

This is not like real play dough, it doesn't last a long time. (It reminds me of clay.) You'll need to store it in an airtight container. I use old tea mix canisters or butter tubs that I have cleaned out. They seem to work well. The other tip I would like to add is that we mix in additional oil before we put it away. This helps keep it from drying out.

Eventually it will dry out and when it does, it's as hard as rock! When I think this is happening, I have XR create one of his sculptures and let it completely dry. These sculptures last quite awhile and would make a wonderful gift! You could also have the kids paint them.
I think we'll try that next time.

Labels: , , , ,