How to make your own baking mix.

I am a huge fan of Bisquick. I consistently use this mix for making everything from breakfast to supper to desserts. The possibilities are endless. Today, I want to share with you a recipe I have for making your own baking mix. This homemade mix can be used in many recipes. (It can be substituted for Bisquick in many instances, too)

To begin, you will need: either two knives, a pastry blender, a food processor, or I use a Kitchenaide stand mixer and the following ingredients.

  1. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
  2. Using one of the above listed items, cut in the shortening one tablespoon at a time.
  3. The mixture should be the consistency of cornmeal.
  4. (If you are using a food processor, make sure you stop often to check the consistency.)

Keep your baking mix in an air tight container. It will keep in the pantry, or a cupboard, for up to 6 months. If you live in a very hot or humid climate, you'll want to keep the mix in your fridge. And storing extra mix in a cold cellar is not recommended...
takbole trust me!

In the next few weeks, I'll be adding recipes that use this mix, e.g., pancakes, waffles, biscuits, and more.
If, like me, you use a lot of Bisquick or other baking mixes, you will want to double or even triple this recipe.









Labels: , , , ,